Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Every Memorial Day the Skousen's get together and go to the Mesa Cemetery. The graves of loved ones are visited, cleaned & left with some silk flowers, courtesy of Grandma Mary. We have done this every year since we moved back to AZ in 1986. We all meet at the cemetery at 7am (okay, so some of us arrive a little later than that :-) ) and then head out to breakfast afterwards. The past 5 years have been even more meaningful because my Grandpa Skousen is buried there. It's one thing to visit relatives that I have no memory of whatsoever but I have soooo many great memories of my Grandpa and it makes me sad every time we are there that my girls never got the opportunity to know and love him. It makes me appreciate my relationship with the rest of my grandparents even more.
It used to be a tradition to go to Bob's big boy (Now known as JB's) for breakfast. Grandma Skousen would make reservations in advance and would pay for everyone. As the years progressed, the food got nastier and Grandma's pocket book got smaller we decided to move the breakfast festivities over to Max & Marilyn Arnett's house (my aunt & uncle) and have a home cooked breakfast. I'm so glad the we are still caring on this wonderful family tradition after 20 plus years.
After a nice nap we decided to go swim it up at Carson Pool. Gina, Jackson and their kids and Uncle Max and his kids all came. Everyone had such a fun time. A special thanks goes out to auntie Mara who brought the much coveted drinks from QT and played like crazy with the girls in the pool :-)


(The Wrights, Skousen's & Mason's @ my great grandma Huffaker's grave)

(Grandpa Skousen's grave)

(Most of the Skousen's, in front of Grandpa's grave)

(Breakfast at Max & Marilyn's)

(Enjoying all the excitement)


(Jacey having a blast on the slide at Carson)


(Yummy french fries)
(Boy what a long day)

1 comment:

Rachel Mack said...

So cute! Your girls are getting so big! Looks like the pool was fun!